The insidious writer’s block settled firmly in and I’ve been at a loss for words. Except for those moments when awareness of this phenomenon is superseded by the enduring memory of selected lyrics to certain songs. Here’s the playlist currently on my mind. And sure to be on my stereo. Resist!
1. The Times They Are a-Changin’ by Bob Dylan
There’s a battle outside and it’s raging. It’ll soon shake your windows and rattle your walls.
2. Revolution by the Beatles
But if you want money for people with minds that hate, all I can tell you is brother you have to wait.
3. Volunteers by the Jefferson Airplane
Look what’s happening out in the street. Got a revolution. Got to revolution.
4. The Revolution Starts Now by Steve Earle
The revolution starts now when you rise above your fear and tear the walls around you down.
5. Universal Soldier by Buffy St. Marie
His orders come from far away no more. They come from here and there, and you and me, and brothers can’t you see? This is not the way we put an end to war.
6. Uprising by Muse
They will not force us. They will stop degrading us. They will not control us. We will be victorious.
7. Student Demonstration Time by the Beach Boys
I know we’re all fed up with useless wars and racial strife. Next time there’s a riot, well, you best stay out of sight.
8. Working Class Hero by John Lennon
As soon as you’re born they make you feel small. By giving you no time instead of it all. Till the pain is so big you feel nothing at all.
9. I Ain’t Marching Anymore by Phil Ochs
Its always the old to lead us to the war. It’s always the young to fall. Now look at all we’ve won with a saber and a gun. Tell me is it worth it all?
10. Get Up, Stand Up by Bob Marley and the Wailers
You can fool some people sometimes. But you can’t fool all the people all the time. So now we see the light. We gonna stand up for our rights.
11. Sunshine by Jonathan Edwards
Some man’s come he’s trying to run my life, don’t know what he’s asking. When he tells me I’d better get in line, can’t hear what he’s saying.
12. The Revolution Will Not Be Televised by Gil Scott Heron
The revolution will be live.
13. All You Fascists Bound To Lose by Woody Guthrie
People of every color marching side by side. Marching across these fields where a million fascists died.
14. Which Side Are You On? by Pete Seeger
Don’t scab for the bosses. Don’t listen to their lies. Poor folks ain’t got a chance unless they organize.
15. Street Fighting Man by the Rolling Stones (Rod Stewart cover version)
Hey! Think the time is right for a palace revolution.
What do you think?